With significant experience in trial and appellate courts in Minnesota, the lawyers at Coodin & Overson, PLLP, are prepared to help you overcome legal challenges. Located in Lake Elmo, we offer legal representation to families, individuals and businesses in a wide array of practice areas, including family law, business law, criminal law, personal injury, estate planning and probate
We offer the articles below to help you learn about legal news and developments in Minnesota.
If you are ready to discuss your unique legal concerns with a member of our team, call 651-319-5180 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.
- Supreme Court Addresses Forfeitures: Vehicle seized in a forfeiture? See how this recent ruling may impact you.
- Maintenance Law Change: Important modifications regarding Minnesota Spousal Maintenance Law.
- Mediation may be the best way to reach a divorce agreement:This article gives a brief overview of divorce mediation and details about its short- and long-term benefits.
- Dispelling some common myths about prenuptial agreements: This article addresses three of the most common myths surrounding prenuptial agreements
- Minnesota Lawmakers: Joint Custody Presumption Needed: Lawmakers introduced a bill that would establish a presumption of joint custody between parents pursuing divorce. Although the bill did not become law, the controversy over the legislation proves how contentious child custody proceedings can become.
- Custody Orders vs. Parenting Plan Orders In Minnesota: Make sure you understand the difference between custody orders and parenting plan orders if you are facing a custody dispute.
- Basics Of Expungements In Minnesota: A criminal record can haunt you for the rest of your life. Learn about the options to expunge, or seal, your record.
- New Law Bans The Sale Of Synthetic Drugs In Minnesota: Minnesota has made it a felony to sell synthetic drugs, like bath salts. If you have been charged with a crime involving synthetic drugs, contact an experienced criminal defense attorney.
- Divorce Rates Rising Among Couples Over 50: The rate of “gray divorce” has doubled over the past two decades. Couples who divorce later in life face unique challenges when it comes to property division.
- IRS Provides Small Escape Clause For Unwitting Spouses Of Tax Cheats: Learn what happens when ex-spouses find themselves being pursued by the IRS for taxes they had no idea existed.
- Ways To Structure A Business Entity: What type of business entity is right for your new venture? Read this article to learn about your options.
- The Components And Importance Of Estate Planning: Learn how to customize a comprehensive estate plan to accomplish your goals and protect what is important to you.
- Changes To The Best-Interest Factors In Minnesota Child Custody Law: A new law has updated the list of factors judges may consider in child custody cases. If you are involved in a child custody case, make sure your attorney is up-to-date on the new best-interest factors.
- Minnesota Paternity: The Determination Of Legal Fatherhood: Almost half of all children born today are born to unwed mothers. Learn what you need to do to establish paternity in such a situation.
- Could Minnesota Collaborative Divorce Be Right For You?: Believe it or not, in some cases it is possible to take a cooperative approach to divorce – saving time and money, and sparing stress, for everyone involved.
- Tips For Smart Social Media Use During A Minnesota Divorce: If you are going through a divorce, remember that things you post on social media could end up being used against you.
- How To Protect Finances Before And After A Divorce: Divorce does not have to lead to financial disaster. Read this article to learn how to protect your financial interests.
- FAQ: Orders For Protection (Restraining Orders) In Minnesota: Read this article to learn what you need to know about restraining orders and how to get the help you need.
- Spousal Maintenance in Minnesota Case Law Addressing the Elements