A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

We speak English and Spanish

Se Habla Espanol

A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

When Life Changes After Divorce: Post-Decree Modifications And Enforcement

At the time of a divorce decree, the judge will issue stipulations regarding such things as child custody, visitation and the payment of child support. However, that is not the end of the story. If a significant change in circumstances occurs, one of the parties can go to court to obtain a post-decree modification.

The family law attorneys at Coodin & Overson, PLLP, have helped numerous clients obtain modifications in support or custody and visitation orders. In many cases, we can obtain a modification quickly, efficiently and affordably. Other modification matters can be more complex.

Our firm can represent you in matters involving:

  • Modifications in child support
  • Modifications in custody and visitation
  • Modifications in spousal maintenance
  • Enforcement of support and visitation orders
  • Child endangerment issues

Contact us to schedule a free consultation.

Modifications In Child Support

In Minnesota, the required child support level is determined primarily by the incomes of the parents and the residency of a child with each parent, adjusted for certain expenses.

A change in income resulting from layoff, disability or job promotion can be found by a court to be significant enough to warrant a change in the child support level. If both parents work in payroll jobs, our firm can generally obtain a modification in a timely and cost-effective manner.

Modifications In Custody And Parenting Time (Visitation)

When both parents are in general agreement, our firm can usually obtain a modification in custody or visitation quite easily. Let’s say one parent’s job schedule changes from first shift to second shift. Our firm can negotiate with the other parent’s attorney to reach a new agreement. We would then present the agreement to the court and if the judge agrees, he or she would issue a new stipulation.

Unfortunately, some custody and parenting time matters end up in litigation. Our attorneys have experience in cases involving child endangerment, proposed child relocations and other contentious custody disputes. In this situation, our firm can aggressively litigate to achieve your goals and protect your rights.

Enforcement Of Orders

Coodin & Overson, PLLP, can go to court to enforce a support, custody or visitation order. If a parent has hidden income, we can make discovery efforts using a forensic accountant or other means. The court will then impute income for the purposes of determining a more accurate child support amount and issue an enforcement order.

Free Consultation With A Lawyer

For more information about how our firm can help you obtain a modification or enforcement order, call Coodin & Overson, PLLP, in Woodbury at 651-204-8692.