A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

We speak English and Spanish

Se Habla Espanol

A Tradition of Service, Focused On Achieving Positive Results

You Have Rights During A Cohabitation Breakup

What happens when people who have been living together for some time decide to break up? How do they divide their possessions? What happens to their house?

There are ways to manage this transition in an orderly fashion. If a resolution cannot be achieved through negotiation, however, it may lead to litigation. The important thing to remember is that you have rights — particularly when your name is on the title of property.

Coodin & Overson, PLLP, has helped a number of couples resolve their disagreements successfully and achieve a fair division of jointly owned property. We are both skilled negotiators and strong advocates who understand the practical and legal aspects of cohabitation breakups and other aspects of family law.

Call 651-204-8692 or send us an email to arrange a free consultation in our offices in Woodbury, Minnesota. We can discuss your situation and how our firm can help you assert your rights.

Protecting Your Rights And Your Property Interests

If your name is on your home’s title along with your partner’s, you share in the ownership of the property and in the mortgage obligation.

In this situation, we can often negotiate a settlement in which one party buys out the other’s property interest and takes responsibility for the mortgage. This usually involves refinancing and additional costs, which can be included and accounted for in the overall settlement. We can also negotiate for the division of other property such as jointly owned furniture and household possessions.

If your name is not on your house’s title, and you have been helping pay a mortgage or contributing to the upkeep of your household, you are in a weaker position. Speak with an attorney at our firm. We can discuss the steps we could take to formalize your property interests.

Domestic Violence Or Alleged Violence

If your relationship is marred by domestic violence, our firm can help you obtain an order for protection. An OFP can include specific provisions concerning the division of property and when the property should be removed from the residence and requiring one party to vacate the residence by a certain date or time.

If you face false or exaggerated allegations of violence, our firm can represent you in a civil hearing to prevent the imposition of an OFP against you.

Free Consultation With A Lawyer

For more information about how our firm can help you manage a cohabitation breakup, call Coodin & Overson, PLLP, at 651-204-8692.